About the Youth Horse Challenge
The Youth Horse Challenge is a contest designed for young horsemen to showcase their ability to train an inexperienced horse and develop the horse into a finished project. Each contestant will be asked to complete a record book in which they will log basics such as money spent on feed, time spent in the saddle, etc. When the contestants compete with their horses at the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo in February, they will be asked to demonstrate knowledge of tack and equipment, exhibit groundwork skills with their horse, and ride their horse in rail and obstacle classes.
For a closer look, watch as Chance Clipper, the 2016 and 2017 Youth Horse Challenge Champion performs each round of the Youth Horse Challenge with his horse, TRR Ms Becaco Kitty (Kat).
Round Three: Groundwork
Round Four: Under Saddle
Final Round: Gambler's Choice
For the Contestants
- Each contestant must be a member of Texas 4-H or FFA.
- The competition will be divided into two divisions based on the contestant's age as of August 31, 2017:
- Junior Division: 8-13 years old
- Senior Division: 14-18 years old
- There are Four Rounds and a Finals Round for the Top 5 Seniors
- Round One: Record Book - Due in the office by February 1, 2018
- Round Two: Tack and Equipment
- Round Three: Groundwork
- Round Four: Under Saddle
- Rail Class
- Obstacle Class
- Final Round: Top 5 Seniors
- Gambler's Choice Obstacle Class
- Freestyle Pattern Class
- Horse may be of any breed, and may be registered or unregistered.
- Contestant ownership of the horse is not required
- Entry Deadline
- Mail-In: January 15, 2018
- Online: January 25, 2018
Specific questions related to the Youth Horse Challenge may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Schedule of Events:
Youth Horse Challenge - February 18, 2018 | 8:00am | Expo Hall